Nuke Free Now Calls You to Action ~ (un)Occupy Albuquerque and Occupy Santa Fe Join Coalition of New Mexico Groups Calling for End to Nuclear Weapons Development at LANL
· On July 16, 2012, the 67th anniversary of the first ever atomic explosion at the Trinity site in southern New Mexico, NM native Alaric Balibrera began a three-week hunger strike in protest at the continued development of nuclear weapons at Los Alamos National Laboratory. 20 more people (and counting) have pledged to join this hunger strike. “I am undertaking a hunger strike to protest our continued waste of billions of dollars for genocidal weapons developed and produced in part in Los Alamos,” Alaric says. “We know that a world of peace and beauty is possible. We call on our scientists and politicians to use their brilliance and influence to create this world … We believe this hunger strike will help call awareness to the mounting crisis that threatens all nations on this planet earth.” Click here for more information, including Alaric’s statement and demands. Follow Alaric on Twitter for hunger strike updates.
From August 3rd to 6th, a series of events will highlight the urgent need for abolition of nuclear weapons, culminating in a full day of non-violent direct action at Los Alamos on August 6th.
Friday August 3rd in Santa Fe:
· Art exhibit at El Museo – Call for Entries
· Workshop on non-violent direct action (relating to activities planned for Mon. Aug 6th.)
Saturday August 4th in Santa Fe:
· Nuke Free Now Conference and Film Festival at CCA (Center for Contemporary Arts). A full day of panels, speakers, and films at CCA to inform our community about the many important issues surrounding nuclear weapons and nuclear energy, and to inspire us to action. Click for full schedule.
Sunday August 5th in Los Alamos:
· Rally in Ashley Pond Park, Los Alamos, speakers, music, teach-ins, and information
· Audio link to the sounding of the Peace Bell in Hiroshima, Japan
· “Sackcloth and Ashes” peace march led by Pax Christi, New Mexico
· Floating of peace lanterns on Ashley Pond
Monday August 6th in Los Alamos:
· A full day of non-violent direct action in Los Alamos. Click here for flyer